Wednesday, February 3, 2010

White Bean and Chicken Chili

I had heard about chicken chili many times on the OH boards but had never taken the time to look it up and give it a try. It is absolutely a unique taste and I love it. I will say though, that my husband and son were not as enthused about it as I was. Fortunately, it is inexpensive to make and I believe well worth trying. It made several meals for me and is quite a change from regular soups and chili.

White Bean and Chicken Chili

1 tbsp olive oil
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
salt and pepper
2 small onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 - 4oz cans roasted green chilies, drained
1 tbsp ground cumin
2 - 15 oz cans white beans, drained and rinsed
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup water

Warm oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add onions and garlic and saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Place chicken in crockpot and add onions, garlic, cumin, chilies, beans, water, and broth. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
Remove 1 cup of beans plus 1/2 cup of liquid and puree together in blender. Pour mixture back into crockpot and shred chicken with fork. Serve hot. Serves 6.

Per Serving:

Calories:296
Fat:3
Carbs:36
Protein: 17

This recipe had been modified from the original which was published in ALL YOU's Eat Well, Save Big cookbook.

Karen

Photos later.

No comments:

Post a Comment