Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Teriyaki Chicken Drumsticks

Sorry it has been so long. I have been absent from any real cooking for quite a while but now I'm back with more enthusiasm for preparing flavorful but simple and inexpensive meals.

Teriyaki Chicken Drumsticks

1/2 c soy sauce
2 tbsp packed dark brown sugar
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/2 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
8 chicken drumsticks
salt and pepper

Combine soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Add 2 tbsp water and bring to boil over high heat, stirring constantly until thickened, about 2 minutes. Cool slightly and strain, discarding solids. Preheat broiler to high and place a broiling rack 6 -8 inches from heat source.
Arrange drumsticks snugly on a large, foil-lined rimmed baking sheet and season with salt and pepper on all sides. Pour sauce over drumsticks and turn drumsticks so that all sides are coated. Broil for 20 minutes, rotating pan and turning drumsticks with tongs every 2 to 3 minutes. If liquids starts to scorch, add 1/4 cup of water to pan. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for 10 more minutes, until juices run clear. Cool slightly before serving. Serves 4.

Per Serving:

Calories: 197
Fat: 4
Carbs: 11
Protein: 28

Tips: When I made this recipe, I used drumsticks that were fairly large so the amount of sauce wasn't quite enough as I would have preferred. When I make this again, I will double the sauce recipe so that the chicken is coated more thoroughly. These came out so tender and tasty that my mouth waters just thinking about them. I can't take credit for the recipe. I did slightly modify the cooking/broil time but the original came from All You, Eat Well, Save Big cookbook.

Enjoy.
Karen

Photos soon

No comments:

Post a Comment